Crack Fill to Help Preserve your Asphalt Pavement
Meticulous surface preparation is the key to proper application.
Noticing a crack on your driveway or parking lot might not alarm you; however, it should raise a red flag and cause action to be taken.
Cracks cause damage to your driveway, parking lots, and roads because they allow water to seep into the pavement. In Michigan the water freezes and eventually expands the width and depth of the cracks. As water penetrates the surface, the sub base begins to erode, and the pavement eventually takes on the appearance of the skin of an alligator's back. This "alligator cracking" causes depressions and potholes. Once this occurs to an area of pavement, simple filling will not fix the problem, since the sub base is compromised. Rip out and replacement of the area is the only solution.
One crack leads to the formation of many; therefore, applying hot rubber fill when cracks are first noticed is the key to maintaining your surface before costly repairs are necessary.
Sommerset Paving's crack fill technique:
- In addition to the best materials available in the industry, the most important aspect for a quality outcome is the cleanliness of the area prior to product application. No expense is spared in area preparation. The industry's leading debris cleaning blower system is used to clean dirt and debris from all cracks.
- Sommerset Paving only uses commercial grade hot rubber fill on all cracks ¼ inch or wider. Hot rubber fill is far superior compared to cold fill purchased at a local home improvement center.
Hot Rubber Crack Fill
- Flexes with temperature variations
- Adheres to asphalt because it is oil based
- Does not shrink in cold, keeping its bond to asphalt surface
- Does not track in home or business
Cold Rubber Crack Fill
- Not flexible, therefore the product cracks
- Does not adhere to existing asphalt
- Shrinks in cold, leading to widening of cracks
- Product remains sticky and tracks in on shoes, pets, and kids
Sommerset’s hot rubber crack fill system maintains consistent industry standards for temperature of product. Consistent temperatures guarantee that the integrity of the product remains the same throughout the project so that the hot rubber always binds properly to the asphalt.
Maintain your investment with preventative care that is a minimal charge per linear yard compared to a more costly sectional rip out and replacement.