REMOVAL & REPLACEMENT
No fine print or hidden costs.
Asphalt has a life span of 15-25 years depending on its initial construction and maintenance history. Eventually asphalt surfaces have to be taken down to the sub base and completely replaced. When structural deficiencies comprise 35% or more of your property it’s time to remove and replace.
Quality begins in the foundation of a paved surface. Proper construction of the sub base is essential in providing a finished product that meets all industry standards. Often, corners are cut to save money in the construction of the sub base. Creating a solid foundation for the surface to be paved will save thousands of dollars in repairs in future years.
Sommerset Paving’s Remove and Replace Process:
- Remove and haul away entire area of asphalt that will be re-paved.
- Grade and compact existing sub base
- Address all sub base defects, drainage issues, and add crushed aggregate if necessary. Apply 2 layers of asphalt:
- Commercial: 2.5" of hot mix base coarse asphalt is applied and compacted to 2". Next 2.5" of wearing coarse asphalt will be compacted to 2" = final thickness of 4’’.
- Residential: 2’’ of hot mix base coarse asphalt is applied and compacted to 1.5". Next 2" of wearing coarse asphalt will be compacted to 1.5" = final thickness of 3’’.
A two layer process is crucial! Asphalt should not be applied in one layer or it cannot be properly compacted.
Compaction = Asphalt Longevity
Improper Compaction = Failure